Northwest Immigration & Criminal Defense LLP represents individuals who may be eligible for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). This program, originally announced by President Obama in 2012 and augmented in 2014, allows some individuals who reside in the United States to apply for what is called "deferred action." Essentially, when someone is granted deferred action, the government is telling that individual he or she will not be deported for a period of time. For DACA, this period of time is currently two years. During these two years, the individual can receive work authorization to work legally in thee United States.
What isn't DACA?
DACA is not a pathway to citizenship. It is not permanent residency. DACA is only a temporary promise from the government not to deport/remove someone from the United States for a set period of time. It is important for an individual considering DACA to speak with an experienced immigration attorney. Through the DACA application, that individual will have to disclose personal details to the government. Since it is impossible to know who our next president will be or how the politics around immigration will change in the coming years, it is very important not to give the government more information than is necessary. Immigration attorneys at Northwest Immigration & Criminal Defense LLP will help you build the best possible DACA case for you, providing enough information but not more than is necessary.
What to do if you think you may eligible for DACA?
In order to determine whether an individual is eligible for DACA, we need to do an initial consultation (our attorneys speak English, Spanish, and Russian). If you are unsure whether DACA may work for you, please review the following qualifications and give us a call at 503-674-7434 (English & Español) or 503-395-8393 (Русский).
DACA Requirements (from the USCIS website)
You may request DACA if you:
- Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;
- Came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;
- Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007 (this date will soon change to January 1, 2010) , up to the present time;
- Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;
- Had no lawful status on June 15, 2012;
- Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and
- Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor,or three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.
Usted puede presentar una petición de DACA si:
- Era menor de 31 años de edad al 15 de junio de 2012;
- Llegó a los Estados Unidos antes de cumplir 16 años de edad;
- Ha residido continuamente en Estados Unidos desde el 15 de junio de 2007, hasta el presente;
- Estaba físicamente presente en Estados Unidos el 15 de junio de 2012, y al momento de presentar la petición de Consideración de Acción Diferida ante USCIS;
- No tenía estatus legal el 15 de junio de 2012;
- Se encuentra actualmente en la escuela, se ha graduado u obtenido un certificado de finalización de la escuela secundaria, ha obtenido un Certificado de Desarrollo de Educación General (GED), o es un veterano con licenciamiento honorable de la Guardia Costera o las Fuerzas Armadas de los Estados Unidos, y;
- No ha sido condenado por un delito grave, delito menor significativo, o tres o más delitos menores, y de ninguna otra manera constituye una amenaza para la seguridad nacional o la seguridad pública.
Para mas información por favor de visitar a USCIS.
Where are we located?
Our office is conveniently located here for residents of Portland and Gresham. We also periodically travel to Woodburn, Hood River, Beaverton, and Hillsboro for community outreach. If you are unable to make it to our office, please contact us to set up a time when we can come to you.
Learn more about:
- Immigration Lawyers
- Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Eduardo Z. Herrera
- Cole Enabnit
- Our Mission
- Grand Opening
- News & Current Events
- Family-Based Visas
- Citizenship & Naturalization
- Deportation & Removal Defense
- Legal Services
- DUII – Driving under the influence of intoxicants
- K-1 Fianceé Visa
- Immigration Resources
- Criminal Defense Resources